Thank you to all who joined me in March for National Nutrition Month (NNM). I enjoyed meeting many of you at the Kickoff, RDN day, Tea Thyme, and Fueling your Workout events. If you liked the energy bites offered at the last NNM event, I posted the recipe below.
Although NNM has ended, let us continue promoting healthy eating behaviors. You can learn more about how to incorporate these behaviors into your lifestyle at my upcoming nutrition series. This 6-week series will take place on April 26th, May 10th, May 24th, June 7th, June 21st, and July 5th at 7 am, 8 am, and 12 pm (in the Board Room), and at 3 pm (in the Pines Study). Each session is 30 minutes.
The nutrition series has no charge and is open to all residents and employees.
- April 26th – Introduction/Macro- and Micronutrients
- May 10th – New Nutrition Facts Label and Portion Sizes
- May 24th – Fad Diets
- June 7th – Hydration and Electrolytes
- June 21st – Mindful Eating and Sleep
- July 5th – Conclusion, Questions, and Resources
The last session will be focused on answering questions that arise during the series and where to find evidence-based information.
Energy Bites Recipe
- 1 cup dry oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and let chill in refrigerator for ~30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into 20-25 balls ~1 inch in diameter.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.
I hope to see many of you on April 26th!
Jillian Schoening MS, RD, LDN
If you have any questions about the nutrition series or are interested in one-on-one nutrition counseling, please contact my office at 919-370-7187 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.